The center came into existence with the approval of the Board of Regents during its meeting held at ISU Cauayan Campus on June 09, 2011. It is dedicated to continuously undertake research and development to generate cacao technologies considering related problems on cacao production, processing, and utilization. The center also provides cacao farmers/growers a package of technology through conduct of capability building and extension work. To date, approximately 1,567 cacao farmers have been reached out through CVCDC since 2015 and a number are already into cacao processing as well.
The existence of the CVCDC will be greatly enhanced by the presence of the state-of-the- art cacao processing center cum conference/training hall. It must be noted that the various cacao products already developed at the Center have made the University as recognized processing center in Cagayan Valley and it is worthwhile to mention, that most of the cacao products garnered the Certificate of Registration, Utility Model awarded by the Intellectual Property Office, Taguig City.
Furthermore, the CVCDC is committed to promote excellence through the development of cacao related technologies from propagation and production to processing and marketing that are socially, environmentally and culturally feasible both at the local, national and world markets.
Produce quality cacao processed products and by-products through innovative and effective technologies, resources and services.
To successfully attain its vision and mission, the Center will conduct R&D capacity building on cacao, provides viable information and undertakes information dissemination or technology transfer activities as well as technical assistance to cacao stakeholders to ensure increase in supply on a sustainable manner
- To undertake R & D considering related problems on cacao from production, processing and utilization
- To provide cacao growers/farmers package of scientific-based agricultural technologies on cacao to achieve optimal yield and higher return of investment (ROI) without putting risks on the environment.
- To establish strong collaborative R & D linkages with the partners and stakeholders towards developing champions for cacao industry in the region.
- To assist and promote networking among all cacao stakeholders both at the regional level and across boundaries.
INNOVATIVE CACAO PRODUCTS DEVELOPED BY THE CENTER
- Tablea Tops
- Tablea Based Dark Chocolate bars
- 90% Dark Chocolate
- 80% Dark Chocolate Yema Filling
- 80% Dark Chocolate Raisins Filling
- Pastillas de Cacao
- Polvoron de Cacao
- Choco-Nut Crispy Cookies
- Choco-Nut Custard
- Choco-Nut Cream Pie
- Choco Coated Polvoron
- Tablea kisses
- Tablea Mango Tart
- Caramelized Nibs
- Suman Filled with Choco
- Cocoa Nibs Cream Cheeze Cookies
- Natural Vinegar (Cacao Beans Sweatings)
- 3-1 Choco Mix
- Cacao Shell Tea
- Colored Fossilized Cacao Leaves
- Organic Fertilizer
CACAO TECHNOLOGIES GENERATED AND ADOPTED BY STAKEHOLDERS
- Soil Media for Production of Cacao Seedlings
- Size of Polybags for Cacao Seedlings
- Appropriate distance of planting
- Appropriate Time and Amount of Fertilizer (Before planting and During fruiting Stage)
- Appropriate Method and Time of Pruning
- Appropriate Method of Harvesting
- Appropriate Cacao Pod Breaking
- Appropriate Days and Temperature of Fermentation Cacao Beans
- Drying (appropriate MC%)
- Roasting (appropriate time and temperature)
- Tablea making
- 80% & 90% dark chocolates
- Choconut Crispy Cookies
- DA – Bureau of Agricultural Research (BAR)
- DA – Agricultural Training Institute (ATI)
- Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)
- Phil. Cocoa Foundation
- Dela Salle University
- DA Region 02
- DTI Region 02
- NGOs (Cacao Growers Association & Cooperatives)
- Conference room of the Cagayan Valley Cacao Processing Center Building
- Cacao pod husk mill machine
- Cacao bean roaster
- Oven for cooking choco-nut crispy cookies
- Perlita P. Raymundo, Ph.D.
- Myleen R. Corpuz, Ph.D.
- Crisel C. Domingo, MS
- Sherwin Hidalgo, MS
- Christine D. Flores, MS
- Jennifer B. Fabro, MS
- Arcelie Lorenzo, MS.
- Jimson Ramirez, MS
Business Intelligence Research and Development Center
Cagayan Valley Agricultural and Aquatic Resources Research and Development (CVAARRD)
Cagayan Valley Small Ruminants Research Center
Cagayan Valley Cacao Development Center
Food Innovation Center
Philippine Mungbean Center
Cagayan Valley Program on Environment and Development
Water Research and Development Center
Regional Center for Innovation and Teaching Excellence
Upland Development Center
Cagayan Valley Cattle Artificial Insemination Research and Training Center
Climate Change Center
Center for Organic Agriculture Research Extension and Training